How Do You Get a Video to Go Viral?
By Jerry Allocca
That’s a question I get asked all the time and unfortunately, there’s no cookie-cutter answer. Every video is different and every audience is unique. Just because you create it, does not mean they will click or share with their friends. But there are some general guidelines you can follow.
We recently optimized a video that focused on today’s CONNECTED CULTURE. The video showed how the use of digital media impacts our everyday lives.
It covered stuff like:
• How much time do people spend on Facebook each day?
• Are there really 72 hours of video uploaded to YouTube every 60 seconds?
• Did you know that 500 years worth of video are shared on Facebook every 24 hours?
See for yourself:
Although the target audience for the video was marketing directors and CMO’s, it appeals to anyone who has an interest in the digital world and how it is growing.
So how did we do?
As of 8/13/2012 over 94,951 people have seen the “Today’s CONNECTED CULTURE” video.
• 3,462 ReTweets
• 1,896 Facebook Likes
• 1,611 LinkedIn
• 495 Stumbleupon views
• 570 Diggs
• 837 Pinterest Re-Pins
• 279 Delicious
• 128 Google+1’s
And it increases every day!
Now here’s the best part. All of this activity resulted in:
• 6312 new followers on twitter
• 2894 new fans on our facebook page
• 618 new email subscribers
• 439 new CONNECTED CULTURE book/audiobook/ebook sales
So, how did we do it?
Here were the critical elements…
• Having already built a niche following of people who consume and share digital info including marketing directors and CMO’s
• Creating compelling content that people would want to share and that is not a commercial
• Killer headline: “You thought you knew what was happening online. Think again.”
• Make it as easy as possible to share the video in your favorite way (social site)
• Continuing to spread the word in relevant social networking and blogging communities with a digital focus
• Added a link to my email signature
• SEO press release creation and distribution
• Article creation and syndication
• Blog posts and syndication
• Social bookmarking
• Link building
• Directory submissions
• Mentioned in media interviews
• And I asked my mom to like it ????
I hope this was helpful as you plan out your video strategy.
Please feel free to click here to share this video or learn more about it…
About the Author:
As President of CORE Interactive for over a decade, Jerry Allocca leads an award-winning team of Internet specialists. A search engine recognized Internet marketing authority, Jerry’s passion is to help people connect online.
Jerry is a frequent industry speaker on such topics as websites, interactive marketing and social media. He has taken his many years of internet marketing experience and has used that knowledge to write CONNECTED CULTURE. This will be the first book to make a proven difference in how you connect online.